Saturday, May 10, 2008

Mother Matters



To Mater

It doesn't much matter
If I say "Dear Mother,"
Or "Mater,"
Or "Madre,"
Or "Mere"

So long as I don't confuse
"Mater" with "Pater"
Or start call-
ing Mother
"Mon pere."

"That's easy," you mutter,
"To tell Mom from Fader
Or Pater
Or Padre
Or Pere."

But here's why it's murder
To not confuse mother
For Father
Or Vater
For mere,

For father is much more
In form a tomat-er,
And mother,
In form,
More a pear.



Though you mutter, I'll wager
That you've, on ocass-ier,
Confounded
Your geni-
tor pair.

Ben note-r: if mother's
Mistaken for father,
Then Mater
Might think
You don't care!

Ah, though she's eke daughter
And sister and lover
To others,
To me she's
most dear

As my own, loving mother:
I'll never consider
Another
my mater,
Not e'er.

Happy Mater's Day, Mudder!

5 comments:

Mom Penny said...

Thank you Jonathon, I love you too, and I only have one Jonathon!!!.

Mom Penny said...

Thank you Jonathon, I love you too, and I only have one Jonathon!!!.

Mom Penny said...

But evidently I have two comments,darn that double click.

Ashley said...

Cute poem Jon! Very talented you are.

Adam said...

It sounds like a sophisticated Dr. Seuss. You should put together a collection of poems like this for a variety of special occasions. Don't know how much it would further your career but it would be fun.